Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Finally getting down and dirty! Yay! Crop Reports

 We are finally getting to play in the dirt the last couple days, er, plant the garden I mean. Ohio rains have been insane this spring and the only playing in the dirt I've been able to do has been to dig drainage ditches to keep water out of the barn.


 Four kinds of taters' went in, most of which were from the grocery store and had begun to sprout. We decided to try OhioFarmGirl's way of planting them this year since she raves about how easy it is plus we have the same crappy soil that needs all the help it can get.

 One is an extremely yummy one called "Klondike Goldust" and I have high hopes for them even though not a one was showing any signs of sprouting yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though as they might just have been the best potato I've ever tasted.

 Every place I checked was out of Red Pontiac, or any other red variety for that matter, so I was tickled pink when I noticed a bag discounted to a buck at the grocery store because it had sprouted more eyes than the seed potatoes I bought. Sweet! I planted half a grocery store bag of russets too, plus a couple pounds of seed russets I had already bought.

 Last but not least was yet another try of Yukon gold, the baking potato that gets rave reviews but hates our soil so we've yet to actually taste it. I used an entire bag of muriate of potash for the tater' area and finished out the side with some discounted shallots, something else that so far hasn't grown well for us either and these are all getting in the ground pretty late in the game as they like the cooler weather.


 Dad put in the painted mountain corn that I am so excited about this year. Really neat story if you care to check it out. Though two packets didn't go nearly as far as I'd hoped, we are really hoping it lives up to it's reputation and that we like it as sweet corn too as it is chock full of those anthocyanin thingies being so vividly colored and is higher in protein than typical feed/flour corn.
Sweet peppers, dragon tongue beans and a row of herbs went in.
 Then the tiller broke.
Lovely.
 Most of our equipment has a habit of doing that right when we need it the most.  Oh well, I have faith in Dad. Even if small engine repair isn't his strong suit, determination to keep Mama happy is, so I know he's doing his darnedest.

No comments:

Post a Comment